Friday, April 17, 2015

January 2015


We spent several weeks nursing sick kiddos, once we were in the clear, we packed up and headed to do some hiking.  

This cutie, is the cutest sweetest Blondie!

Ben learned to ride his bike! He learned so fast,  we were amazed.  The next day he asked me when he could get a dirt bike.

Emily also learned to roller blade!

On a more, in depth note, our church always does a corporate fast in January.  Mine included several things, one of which was yelling.  Don't get me wrong, i yell at my kids more than I want, but not an abundant amount.  But it's wrong, no matter the frequency.  I am constantly telling them that no matter what they have to say, they can say it with kind words.  The same goes for me.  Not yelling at them for 21 days caused me to find other ways to handle stress.  Like a pot that cracks under pressure or heat, I could crack at times from stress (teaching math, while another child is begging for milk, and the third is screaming bc he needs help in the potty RIGHT NOW).  Many scenarios could cause a level of stress that make me feel like yelling is my only option.  "Wait JUST a SECOND"!!!  But this allows me to operate in my own strength.  

Over the 21 days I would immediately stop, take a deep breath and get down on their level to explain that calling me over and over and over and over,  was not respectful, kind or patient.  ;)  hopefully, doing this was treating them with respect, allowing them to, more easily, hear/accept what I am saying to them.  (Much like, having someone speak down to you, prevents you from hearing them, rather you focus on how disrespectfully you have been treated.)

The process of stepping back created an atmosphere of peace in my home like never before.  Not only did I rely more heavily on God, I witnessed how each moment is really a teachable moment, and learn a great deal about my own weakness.  I also watched my kids trade anger for joy.  

And with that, I give you the next picture...

Because of this trade, school days have made a drastic change!  We have traded tense power struggles for a much more submissive attitude.  Apparently calm parents who are not "out-of-control" are much easier to submit to, who would have thought?  :)  We took this picture after a week of ZERO complaining (we took it to Brusters for a treat!!!)

Since January, I have had several opportunities to yell, and have succumbed to some of them, but each day I wake and ask that my body and soul would submit to the Spirit that lives within me!  Because they are worth it!

No comments:

Mr. Hyde

Mr. Hyde
First Born Stinson