Sunday, January 13, 2008

Best Book I Have Read So Far

I just finished the best book (second to the Bible of course), :) that I have read so far. It is called The Shack by William Young. It is considered a fiction, but I believe that it is a very true picture of our relationship with God, and others.

I think that everyone should read it. It blows the doors off of our "box" that we think in regarding our "religions", and relationship with the Father.

If I could buy everyone this book, I would.

Please indulge me here, and read it, then leave me a comment on how it changed your life, because it will. If you have already read it, I would love to hear from you.

Here is the website: http://theshackbook.com/

2 comments:

TXSkipper said...

Hi, my name is Kaci and I just finished reading The Shack as well. I saw your question on the LPM blog and so I hopped over here to see if you wrote any more of your thoughts. I just finished it yesterday, and am processing what I read. With two small ones (son, 2 1/2; daughter turns 1 on Feb. 14), it took me almost a month to read it. Anyway, I would love to hear more about your thoughts/observations/revelations from it. My initial thoughts are:

- interesting how God has been speaking to me through it and how it has coincided with my devotions and other things that He's using to speak to me - many times I felt drawn to read the book because I wanted to be with Him
- wondering how God feels about it and how close to truth it is - there is much I want to grab on to and hold as truth, but I haven't held it up against Scripture or prayed about it
- I'm chewing on the things about relationships and responsibility and expectations - kind of like Mack, I'm almost overwhelmed with what I "heard", and some times I found myself rushing through parts wanting to know what was next...thus why I want to re-read it

Those are just my initial thoughts - at least the ones I can wrap my hands around right now. Many moments I felt like Mack with the only response I could grasp was, "Huh?"

Feel free just to email me at txskippers@sbcglobal.net

And on a side note - looks like you are in B'ham. Where? My dad grew up there and all his family is still there in the Pelham, Hoover, Pleasant Grove areas. Our best friends moved to Hayden in August where he is now a senior pastor. So I have a heart connection there even though I'm now in Fort Worth (I grew up just outside Nashville). Lots of small details you may not care about!

The Stinson Family said...

Well, I obviously took my precious time responding to this comment, sorry.

In a nut-shell, I think this book taught me how very much God loves everyone, and that He designed us for relationship. Relationship with Him, and Relationship with other people.

We/I so often get stuck thinking of what my "rights" are, yet God wants us to think of the other person first. Instead of choosing to not love, not forgive/and be offended, He wants us to CHOOSE to Love through Him, because lets just face it there are some that can only be loved through Him.

So, that is my two cents!

Mr. Hyde

Mr. Hyde
First Born Stinson