Thursday, January 22, 2009

Help - Please only respond if you are FOR Babywise

Okay, so Emily has slept through the night since 8 weeks, with minor glitches here and there when we are away from home, or she gets sick.

She also LOVES her nap. Takes them every day. Usually ask for her pacy and bear and says "bed".

This week, she has not wanted to take one or both naps, everyday. Yesterday she cried through both naps. Today she cried through her morning nap, and for 45 mins this afternoon, when I gave in and rocked her to sleep (because I need her to nap today). Nap time is the only time I get much done around here.

So, my question is. Have any of you experienced this is your 15 month old, or similar aged child? What should I do? Is it possible that she wants to drop the AM nap? She gets so sleepy around 8:30am, so it is hard for me to believe that she does. But, if thats it then I can try it.

Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, that is so frustrating when you can't figure out nap problems. Ella dropped her morning nap at 14 months (I was so disappointed). Like you, I couldn't believe it because she still acted sleepy, but consistently for a couple of days I would put her in her crib and she would play a while and then start crying. I would let her cry almost the duration of the nap and then get her out. Then for her afternoon nap, she wasn't sleeping as long and was more restless than usual. After a few days of that, she would totally crash for her morning nap and sleep hard so I just couldn't figure out what was going on. I talked to our ped. (Dr. Trumbull who advocates Babywise) and he said that dropping the morning nap is a process and can take up to a month. He said to keep putting her down at normal time in the morning and once she consistently did't sleep for 4-5 days, then to stop trying and just wait until afternoon nap. He suggested doing the afternoon nap earlier than normal (11:30am if needed) and then gradually stretching it out back to her normal time (1:00pm for us). So it took a week or so until she went 4-5 days and then I followed his advice about the afternoon nap and it worked out great. Anyways, it's frustrating because dropping the nap doesn't just happen right away and it's hard to tell whether they really need a nap or not. But after about a month of all of that, Ella started taking her nap at 1pm again and has ever since. I don't know if that helps or not, but either way I hope you get things figured out and Emily gets back to sleeping normally. I know that's hard on baby and mommy! Love y'all! :-)

Dayna said...

I think it might be just a phase that she is going through as my son did the same thing. He is still taking 2 naps and has returned to sleeping through the night. Hopefully it will pass for you too.

Mr. Hyde

Mr. Hyde
First Born Stinson