Friday, June 25, 2010

Blueberries for Emily


We decided to go pick blueberries today. Went as early as possible (which equated to 8am with a toddler, and a 45 min. drive). Ems loves blueberries, but was not crazy about the heat so we only lasted 1.5 hours (you can see from pictures below, just how hot she got).


My mom challenged me, unknownst to her, by saying ("if you pick 1 gallon of blueberries, you let me know", dripping with sarcasm), so we pick almost 1.5 gallons. ;)




Sad thing is that my grandmother has a blueberry farm, that my parents care for, but it is just too far to go and pick there, so we had to pick here.
Mom and Dad are out at their farm everyday right now, picking away, mostly for us (thanks guys, I now have a true appreciation for those berries!), and let me just say that it is hard work in that sun! They will typically get us 5-7 gallons every year (June) and we will eat them all by August or September. Crazy huh? We should not have one free radical floating around in our bodies.


On to our trip. We visited Smith U-Pick in Sterrett, Alabama. This was a suprisingly nice farm. Grass was cut low, bushes were well spread. He suggested wearing closed toed shoes for the ants b/c it is an organic farm and they do not spray anything on the berries, even ants. But the kids could eat as many as they wanted, care-free!


The crew...(Staffords, Stinsons, and Pooles)


The girlies, before they were drinched in sweat...
Emily Bear, taking a break...



The girls, drenched in sweat...







Pooles



Staffords (minus baby R)



My crew


Loot...
So, what to do with all those blueberries???



Make blueberry Pie, of course. Hope its good!

2 comments:

Faye Brown said...

I am AMAZED! Never in my wildest dreams did I think you would be able to pick 1 and a half gallons of blueberries in time you did. You do know that you got your competitive spirit from your Mom. The only way I got through graduate physics was because the high school physics teacher that taught next to me told me that there was no way I could pass that course. His words were, "Girl, you are sucking wind in that course so you might as well give up now before you embarrass yourself." I took the challenge and made an A. (So much for my bragging session.) I took your accomplishment as a challenge for myself to pick 1 and a half gallons in an hour this morning. We got to the farm at 6 and I picked until a little after 8:30. My total - 2 and a half gallons in 2 and a half hours. I was beaten by my baby girl. Not to mention that is was not in the heat of midmorning, and I did not have a two year old in tow and a baby boy strapped to my chest. I was soaking wet, looked a bit like Emily in the pictures, and exhausted. My hat is off to you Punkin. You are now the official Brown blueberry champ now that Granddaddy is passed on. Now he could pick em. Maybe you got some of his genes. Love you, Mom

The Stinson Family said...

Pretty incredible that you remembered his exact words 40 years later. Reminds me how powerful our words are, life or death.

Love you, miss you

Mr. Hyde

Mr. Hyde
First Born Stinson