Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Rock and Roll

Well we did it. Troy and I completed our first marathon! The San Diego Rock N' Roll Marathon, was a great race to run with temperatures in the sixties.

I am very proud of both of us, Troy more so than me. We trained for so long, it seemed. Here is a play-by-play, if you are interested:

3:00am Woke up to eat a PB&J for fuel

4:00am Leave the Hotel, because Cheryl wanted to be the first there. ;)

4:30am Arrive at the parking lot and shuttled to the start line

4:45am - 6:30am Wait, freeze, wait

6:30am Race Begins

Troy stayed with me for the first mile (he runs a faster pace than me, who am I kidding, everyone runs a faster pace than me, ever since I had little bear). I was doing well physically and mentally, until around mile 15, when I started thinking that I could not believe how much further I had to go.

Mile 17, I saw Troy, walking. Heart dropped, ran as fast as I could to catch up with him. As soon as he was in ear shot, I shouted "Are you okay". Nope. His IT Band had given out on him. He was walking as fast as he could, because it did not hurt him to walk. Of course there was no way I was leaving him. So we ran for about 1/2 mile, then we would walk for a minute or so, run then walk, until mile 25.

We ran from Mile 25 until the finish, holding hands across the finish line ("Awe, How Sweet!! I can hear you all now). It was perfect. We finished in 4:24, my goal was 4:30, so I was very happy with the time, and so stinkin' proud of him for finishing even though he was injured.

Other highlights of the day:

*Cheryl completed the race with a personal record (PR) of 4:10!

*Nate also had a PR of 3:15, and qualified for the Boston Marathon! He also made the local paper and beat Dean Karnazes by 10 minutes.

I do not have any pictures from the day yet (we had a disposable camera), but once I get them I will post them on this entry.

No comments:

Mr. Hyde

Mr. Hyde
First Born Stinson